Tuesday, March 27, 2007

and here they come.

today i left my parents wallowing in bed, or rather on futons, back at my apartment. i made my usual trek up the hill, sweating like a pig at the top, and rolled into yasufuruichi grounds to find a long and wide line of students and parents. junior high students, to be exact. confused and antsy looks. my co-teachers watched over them proud and well dressed. and i glided by hoping not to run anyone down. this is one of those days i fell happy to be in japan. this mostly comes from getting to see the change in the guard. being here from august to august, i get to see the new year begin in april, and all the kids grow up. my favorite is seeing my first and second years of last year (now second and third years) walking by the incoming junior high students with a smirk on their face. i see them lounging on the courtyard table, cruising in ten minutes late, and joking and laughing with their friends. they feel the energy that comes with having someone lower than you to pick on, or help. they feel the power of moving up in the world. it just makes me grin and remember my high school days, but mostly grin at my kids as they walk tall.

No comments: