Saturday, October 14, 2006

the kids are starting to warm up to me.

sept. 28, 2006

so first there was haruna and her friend 'ryn'. they came back the next day and fujishiro sensei made haruna sing for me (she sings traditional japanese poetry and won first place in hiroshima prefecture). absolutely amazing. next i went to the ESS club and got to chat with the girls there. haruna and her friend came back a third day with a third girl, and then today there were five of them. it was so cute, each of them had one question that they wanted to ask me. one girl asked me what my favorite pasta was, haruna asked where i lived in hiroshima, and of course she lives in the same area. she is my very sweet japanese high school twin. hehe. another girl asked me who my favorite actor was, i listed off some they knew and then zach braff. of course they had no idea who i was talking about so i imdb-ed him and they all approved of his little sexy picture. another girl had brought letters from a pen pal to ask about a couple words (very curly hard to read cursive was the problem).



and in class today i was exhausted, so i just ended up sitting on a desk at the back edge of the students. i called out directions from there and even had them pass back papers to me while still sitting on the desk. but what was cool is there was one boy i sat near and he kept turning to me and waving. i would do my to-cool-for-school single motion wave, he would then turn to his friends and say, 'kakoii' (cool). this occurred like 5 times. what made it even better is with some prompting from the sensei he actually asked me questions about the assignment and i was able to correct his sentence. i think he actually understood the changes i made and was sort of able to figure out the sentence i wanted him to write (i would only say it once so he couldn't just copy it from me). AND later he was trying to say that his friend looked like a salary man, which came out more like, 'he likes salary man'. but after a couple repetitions he picked up the 'he looks like...'. so kick ass. and the cuteness of him (besides the whole kakoii thing) was that he caught me with my glasses off as i was rubbing my eyes, he looked shocked and then turned to his friends and the sensei and said that i was pretty without my glasses on. the sensei motioned for him to tell me in english, which of course he didn't, but awww what a cutie. hopefully all of this will lead to more students visiting me and more students talking to me. i know it's jsut because they don't know that i'm a nice person, they don't know that i won't make them talk really hard english or laugh at their mistakes. hopefully it is just all a matter of time and soon i'll be able to figure out a way to talk to students everyday and challenge some of their english skills. or at the very least have them warm up enough to me to come and ask for help on their homework. hmm...maybe i'll try to set up a time and place (not my office) where i can sit and be there just for homework help. tutoring is where my experience is....

No comments: