Sunday, November 19, 2006

basically it was a fiasco.

so the current fiasco in my life has been that the heater function on my aircon has not been working. this is a problem as it has been really cold in hiroshima as of late--actually i think it's been cold all over japan. so at first i just took it. i was going to ask the mormon girls next time they came over (seino having been in japan longer than me and speaks way better japanese) or ask my supervisor to call someone for me. but i decided to offer an olive branch and ask my new overly talkative neighbor for help. this turned into one stressful night of her running up and downstairs calling people and getting me new batteries, writing me a note to give to the realtor (who handles all problems for the small building); to be followed by a stressful day of unanswered phone calls (my unanswering because i was at work, plus i didn't want to deal with a long run of japanese that i would have to say wakarimasen to), then she (my neighbor) of course did the calling for me to my realtor and then the realtor called the repair shop and the day ended in the realtor calling my school to say that i should go straight to her next time--i get the impression that my neighbor is a bit of a nusence. basically it was a fiasco. i didn't know what was going on but i was incredibly appreciative when dogishi sensei translated for me, first with the realtor and then with my neighbor. and finally i wanted to hug fujishiro sensei as he made the final arrangements with the realtor and then the repair company for them to come fix my aircon. so here i sit under my electric blanket, watching three men install a NEW aircon, because it is too expensive to just fix the old one. what is even more amazing than the fact that they are here on a saturday and the the appointment was made the day before is that my landlady is paying for all of this. i am the luckiest JET. and the cute japanese thing was that one of the men noticed my dust bunnies and actually pulled out my vacuum and vacuumed them up for me. embarrassing, and yet sweet. i love japan.

my fiasco.

No comments: