Thursday, November 09, 2006

first neighbor encounter.

so damn exciting! so i walked up my stairs to my third floor apartment to find a bag of food with a note attached. confusion was my response. no one i know knows i live here besides the fact that it was clearly from a japanese person. so i took the food and said sweet! i love homemade japanese food. so i head in, do my normal routine of stripping and pj-ing and there's a knock. someone is at my door...i quickly redress and answer the door. a very sweet looking middle aged japanese woman stands there. she begins speaking very quickly with words i do not know. she pushes into my genkan, keeps speaking confusing japanese, then asks to look at the photos on my fridge, she takes of her shoes and steps in, handing me her keys and coin purse for some reason. ba-i don't know why. she then takes a self guided tour of my apartment, even looking into my bathroom (my place is kinda trashed so this is awkward for me). then she realizes i can't read the note she wrote and begins to explain it to me, in fast japanese. i have no idea what is going on but she is so kind and so excited this all makes me so happy. i say good bye and all the polite things i can think of in japanese and then settle into my internet. just as i get started there is another knock on my door. she's there again! i think what she was saying that because we are friends now she'll show me her apartment (originally i thought she had a friend downstairs that she wanted me to meet). i follow down and am amazed by her wonderfully warm and friendly looking apartment. she shows me all her plants and then gives me fruit! incredibly generous. i head back up without her and again grinningly sit down and turn on my music--another knock. she has brought me a delicious rice ball. oh my god i love japan.

No comments: