Thursday, July 26, 2007

a cleaning binge and a cockroach capture.

yesterday was a good day. i felt the love of my kids, and felt like they actually were taking notice. i taught my very last class, which happened to have some of the best kids. it was a second year class, so i hadn't seen them in a while; probably not since last february. we all had fun trying to understand my silly essay and answering the silly questions. or at least i had fun.... then they had the right reaction when i told them this was my last class. i was happily teaching with nakamura sensei, and we giggled and laughed after class as she tried to hold her tongue about the new harry potter book.

i then had to sit and wait for the closing ceremony to begin. four hours later, i then had to sit and continue to get more nervous as i waited for my turn to speak. i would like to think that if i was speaking entirely in english i really wouldn't have been nervous, but i wanted the kids to really understand what i was saying. i wanted there to be no mistake about how much i would miss them; so i spoke half of it in japanese.

"Good Afternoon.

My year at Yasufuruichi High School has been fun and exciting. I have enjoyed spending time with all of you.

みなさん の 英語 が じょうっつすろ のを みたり みなさん が えいご を 使ってゲーム を たのしん でいる のを みる のが うれしかったです。

You are all very smart, and fun to teach. I have enjoyed being in all your classes.

おせわ に なった 先生方 にも かんしゃ の きもち で いっぱいです。 ほんとう に ありがとうございました。

Thank you for of the memories from Sports Day, たいいくさい, and the School Festival, ぶんかさい, and everyday classes.

みなさん と おわかれする のは とても さみしいですが みなさん の こと は わすれません。

I will miss all of you very much.

Thank you for a wonderful year at Yasufuruichi High School."


my favorite moment was that after saying "good afternoon" i paused just long enough to get half the students to say it back to me. this was quickly followed by a collective, visible "d'oh". also, after barely making in through the speech with out welling up, the students all applauded, unprompted, for the first time during the ceremony. i was touched.

it felt really good to feel the students' appreciation in that moment. i then continued my 'up' day with going home to coffee and salad for dinner, the coffee giving me the energy to get my apartment nearly clean. and while eating i watch 'the number 23', a new jim carrey movie recommended by luke. he had said something about it being about obsession and numerology and and deeper meaning with religion. after watching it i'd say it does make a comment towards religion as a choice. you can choose to let it rule your life, to become an obsession, or you can put it aside and make your own choices; but after a lifetime of obsession, having the will power to put aside your guiding light is incredible.

the film was also interesting because i had never thought i'd ever think of jim carrey as a sex symbol, but he was undeniably sexy in this film. plus, at the peak moment of tension in the film, a giant cockroach decided to scurry into view in my apartment. equally freaked by this new little friend, and the film, i was on an adrenalin high that got me through a cleaning binge and a cockroach capture.

a lot happened for me yesterday. cheers.

No comments: